We recently stopped by and visited Mikey at Shabby French Cottage to ooh and aah at his summer mantel display. He is one of the few men in blogosphere that loves all things French as well as romantic interior decorating, antiquing, music, and art. We love that he uses pieces from Goodwill, things from around his home, found, craft stores and such.
Mikey created the perfect balance of Beach Cottage Chic with his new Summer Cottage Mantel and he was happy to share his tips to assist you in creating your very own mantel design.
Five Tips to create your own Summer Mantel!
~ from Mikey at Shabby French Cottage
1. Pick a simple and light color palate. Think beach colors–white, sand, & aqua.
2. Mass like items together, fill a bowl or basket with shells of varying texture and color.
3. Layer. Different heights and depths of items create interest. Don’t just line up everything in a row. Don’t be afraid to overlap any wall art you have hanging. Now, if you have the TV over the mantle, that’s a horse of a different color!
4. When doing any mantel, especially a nearly monochromatic one, having some shiny objects really helps break up the blah! Think about clear glass bottles, a cloche, sea glass, etc.
5. Don’t go overboard! Sometimes more is just too much! Step back and look at everything from a distance. You don’t want it to feel heavy or cluttered. You should be able to see everything, but not notice just single objects. Once you have it perfectly how you like it, it will all meld together in unison!
Isn’t is Fabulous???? Visit > Shabby French Cottage for even more photos and to learn where all these treasures were acquired.