I am often asked these three questions…
- What color my beach cottage interior walls are painted;
- how did I create such a nice light feeling throughout;
- how to decorate without spending a fortune.
Today’s five tips are used to regularly to keep our cottage feeling fresh and updated. I believe that you’ll find that they are very budget friendly too. I like to incorporate Feng Shui into our spaces; which really goes hand in hand with moving things around and keeping the space feeling uncluttered and happy. There’s nothing better than a happy cottage, is there?
5 Ways to Freshen Your Decor (that don’t cost a fortune!)
1. Sheer Curtains ~ Freshen up a room instantly with light and flowing sheer curtains! Ikea offers their Lill Curtains for $4.99 a pair and it was some of the best money I’ve spent on our home’s decor. Seriously, these curtain panels added light and cheeriness to our house for $50.00 – amazing! If you don’t have an Ikea near you, then consider checking out Ebay for curtains as many vendors sell Ikea products for less that it would cost you to drive there. You can even use these versatile curtain panels in your outdoor spaces such as this example from Courtney of French Country Cottage…
2. Re-Arrange Furniture ~ Yes, that’s right! Turn your furniture towards a focal point such as a view through the window or towards a fireplace. Swap furniture with other rooms to change things up too for FREE! If you don’t like how it looks, then move it again. It’s great exercise too :O)
3. Warm things up! ~ Provide your home with instant coziness by painting walls in a neutral beige color. We used Vanilla Brandy from Lowe’s as our main color throughout with accent walls in custom mixed seaglass blue and green. You can accessorize your rooms with bright pieces which will really “pop” yet not compete with your new neutral background color.
TheLennox.com offers a lovely example of warm & creamy hued walls with gorgeous accent colors. Isn’t this dining room lovely?
4. Dress up Old Furniture & Cabinets ~ Re-paint or purchase knobs and pulls which coordinate with your room’s decor. Etsy is full of delightfully crafted knobs and pulls. Why not get creative and glue seashells onto old knobs or ??? The Painted Hive created these custom Compass Knobs and provides full directions on how to create your own.
5. Shop in your Home ~ Gather accessories from around your home together in one place, such as your dining table. Shop from your own little “store” and place accents into new spaces for no cost and a bit of fun.
Today’s coastal article brought to you by these premier sponsors…
- Two Starfish Seafood & Gift Store Fresh from the Florida Keys….Coastal Gifts & Seafood delivered to your Door!
- Ocean Offerings Unique and Distinctive Gifts & Jewelry Inspired by the Sea.
- Beach Glass Shop Handmade beach glass jewelry from the shores of Lake Erie.